Signs Of An Attic Mold Problem
What Causes Attic Mold Problems?
The most common area for mold to grow in your home are attics. Attics are the perfect place for mold growth due to the conditions they are in – hot, humid, and an abundant food source with the wood sheathing.
Generally speaking, attic moisture problems that lead to mold growth are most often caused by:
- Blocked or Insufficient Ventilation
- Improper Exhausting of Bathroom Fans or Dryer Vents
- Roof Issues/Leaks
Exposure to mold can cause a number of health issues, such as, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, coughing and wheezing. In rare cases mold can also cause skin irritation.
Signs of an Attic Mold Problem
- Dark black staining on wood surfaces — If the wood in your attic shows any black discoloration, the problem has moved beyond moisture; you have mold that should be removed.
- Attic feels excessively hot or stuffy — Attics should feel breezy if they are properly ventilated. When an attic is stuffy, that indicates you have a ventilation problem, which often results in mold problems.
- Frost buildup on the underside of the roof sheathing in winter — When it’s cold enough outside, water vapor in an attic with improper ventilation can freeze on the underside of your roof. This makes it especially easy to spot.
- Wet insulation in the attic — Not only is this a sign that you may (or soon will) have a mold problem, but when insulation gets damp or wet its ability to insulate becomes significantly diminished, costing you extra money to heat/cool your home.
- Water dripping from smoke detectors, light fixtures, bath fans — This is a sure sign that the floor (or attic) above you has a level of moisture that needs to be addressed.
- The smell of mildew in the attic — Trust your nose. A musty or moldy smell in the attic means there’s a moisture problem somewhere.
If you have noticed any of these problems give us a call as soon as possible!
How to get rid of Mold from Attic/Home
Removing mold from your home is a complex process and often times when people attempt to do it themselves they come across bigger issues. This is the reason we recommend professional help! If done improperly you can run the risk of potentially exposing yourself and your family to mold related health symptoms.
We guarantee that our experts will allow you to regain clean healthy air in your home that you and your family deserves, without hurting your wallet. If you believe you have mold, request a mold inspection as soon as possible. We can come on site and perform a detailed inspection. We take into consideration the history of the property, current dampness, the moisture source, affected materials and suspected affected areas. Our experts know what they’re looking for.
Contact Green Home Air to get your free mold inspection today!
For more information, please contact Green Home Air:
Green Home Air:
3704 Laurelcrest St
Salt Lake City, UT 84109